[YLUG] password entry and keyboard country settings

Alex Armani alex.armani at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 10 16:14:26 UTC 2014

Hi Mike, it's all fixed now. Thankyou so much for your help. On Ubuntu we, or rather, I, advise to boot off a dvd. The USB install fails, unless you use use the dvd you have created as the source for the usb ie not the .iso image file. So unplug everything like usb you don't need. I have to be carefull here as my bluetooth dongle is in my usb hub with another webcam, usb keyboard & usb mouse & USB DVD Writer etc. Reboot. Enter bios password. Boot off the dvd, and then wait.

And here's the most important bit.

Press F3, and set your country. Then F2 the same. Now, having previously checked the dvd for errors, the last thing you want is an aborted install because of a read error. Then, do the network install option. This is what I always do, making sure the electricity is not likely to go down, or the internet.

Now make a coffee, mine's 2 sugars, blue top milky, and sit and watch. Don't touch anything. Even loading FireFox to read the release notes. This is not the official way to install 14.1o or anything, but it is the best I have found.

All the official guyz are busy with the LTS stuff, so I have taken over for 14.1o support. Unicorn Stiudio 14:1o ThatIs. Ubuntu Studo is basically Xbuntu, with a low latency kernel, with all the music, video and photography software, and all the codecs installed as default, so this should apply for other flavours of Ubuntu. I use the MATE desktop.

I advise if you have to boot the live install, is to load GParted, and then remove all Linux partitions, even your Linux swap partition. Reboot and do the Net install.

Result, a dual booting, with boot menu, Clean Install of 64bit Windows 7 HP, with all the updates, and a Clean 64bit Unicorn 14.1o install. This is the current state of my machine. Well my old Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've given the ARM Chromebook {White} to my fiance. She loves it. :)

From: Alex@ Armani.PM
--

Alex Armani, IT Consultant \ Digital Musician.
+447 754 595 449 - Www.Armani.PM 8) %)

''I am what I am, because, we are what we are...''