[Bradford] Fedora users ?

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Wed Dec 12 16:53:45 UTC 2012

The Fedora upgrade to the version with Gnome 3 was never advertised as
an upgrade, the recommended path was always to perform a clean
install.  I know other vendors also recommend clean installs, but
Fedora really do mean it (and personally I prefer to do clean installs
rather than upgrades anyway).

A clean install of Fedora for a Grandma who only wants to browse the
web, email funny pictures and use Skype is perfectly fine.  You can do
everything on Fedora that you can on Ubuntu (except have all your
searches spied upon[0]), but it isn't always as easy and you'll
probably find more tutorials written for Ubuntu than Fedora.

I've always found Centos more stable than Ubuntu server, but that
might just be my usage patterns.  With Centos though you accept that
you don't get the latest and greatest software in the default
repositories, and in return you get people like me having already
tested the available software for stability. You are of course welcome
to install any extra software you like, but it won't necessarily be
supported by the Centos community.  I wouldn't recommend Centos as a
desktop OS for most users, but there are times it would make sense -
eg. all you need is a web browser and you have to keep updates to a
minimum.

Personally I'm very happy with Crunchbang Linux on my laptop and
desktop.  After logging in the RAM usage will be in the region of
128MB, which leaves plenty of resources for something more useful than
animating window resizing.  But then I'm an old-school Linux user from
the 90s, and was quite happy with the window managers of that era.

[0] http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

Regards
Alice