[Bradford] UEFI and other Microsoft nasties

John Robert Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Fri Apr 5 07:29:03 UTC 2013

I doubt big media or Apple have anything to do with it; the UEFI issues
have all been round implementation; Linus long ago said he welcomed UEFI
but MS demanded a specific implementation from OEMs for which SUSE has
now published a workaround.

We had similar problems with MSDOS in the early 1980s but DR produced
two superior workarounds, PCDOS for IBM and DRDOS for everyone else.
Those who did not want to be saddled with an inferior MS product simply
went for DRDOS.

Apple would have moved to EFI anyway; they are riding high because more
people are realising the limitations of MS and a lot of FOSS is
available for Macs anyway.