[Bradford] Introductions

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Mon Feb 4 20:34:24 UTC 2013

Oh what the hell,

I'm Alice, a devops engineer since before that became a thing.  I tend
to spend my days writing Ruby tools in order to support PHP
developers.  I also work with a number of NoSQL data stores and
monitoring solutions and do release engineering and configuration
management.  Outside of work I occasionally provide tech advice for
local community groups, I write tests for open source projects
including Centos, and I provide support on a number of projects in
IRC.  You'll find one or two line contributions from me in a number of
projects written in PHP, Ruby, Javascript and Bash.

Originally from Spain, I've moved about a bit - mostly in the North of
England.  I settled down in the Bradford area after coming to
university here to study E-Commerce Technologies (after a brief detour
via industrial Engineering).  I've worked in Bradford, Keighley,
Copenhagen and Leeds doing Drupal and WordPress development, devops,
sysadmin and tech support.

Distro of choice is Crunchbang for desktop and laptop, Centos for
servers.  Crunchbang is nice and lightweight for my aging Lenovo
laptop, but equally happy on a powerful desktop.  Editors of choice
include Vim, Rubymine and Geany.

I like opensource because I can fix something in a day rather than
wait weeks for a vendor to fix it for me and because I dislike
secrets.

I also like train travel - I recently visited every country in the UK
(plus Ireland) in 48 hours by train and ferry.  And I'm currently
playing with Solaris and Software Defined Radio when I get a chance
(not together).

On 4 February 2013 20:02, Andrew <coulson.andy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jumping on the Introductions boat, I'm Andy Coulson.  I'm a freelance
> writer, copy-editor, proofreader and photographer.  I have previously worked
> as a primary teacher and, for several years before that, as a an engineering
> project manager principally in the engineering field. My writing and editing
> work covers my fairly diverse range of interests.  To give you a flavour I
> am currently writing about Ted Hughes and Mytholmroyd; the Theory of
> Relativity; 4G Mobile phones; reviewing training courses and helping edit
> legal material and XML markup.
>
> I turned my back on Windows about 8 years ago when I was spending more time
> fixing my PC than using it.  Since then I have been working mostly on
> Ubuntu, although recently I've been using Mint and experimenting with both
> the Mate and Cinnamon desktops.  It's a long time since I've done any
> serious programming - I think the last thing I did was assembler on various
> micro-controllers back in the 80's.  I do a bit of web work - HTML and CSS,
> and am trying to get to grips with the WordPress.  I use OSS because I can
> experiment and tinker to get the right workflow, and If something doesn't
> work I've not lost anything and because i think the community ethos is such
> a good model for running things.
>

> Andrew Coulson
> email: coulson.andy at gmail.com | tel: 07834 269850
> Ryburn TextWorks - Proofreading, Copy-editing, Writing
> Ryburn ImageWorks - Landscape and Nature Photography
>
> Sent from my IQTELL Virtual Workspace

Mx Alice Kaerast
Devops supergirl, agile coach, corporate sysadmin, optimisationeer