[Bradford] U.K. Court, in David Miranda Case, Rules Terrorism Act Violates Fundamental Rights of Free Press

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 15:52:51 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Stephane Urdy <stephane.urdy at yourprog.com>
wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> I agree on some points and disagree on other, I believe the choice of
> technology chosen to either protect your privacy or hide something
> considered today unlawful [it might change tomorrow] is not specifically
> bound to the Gnu/Linux system.

I think it's out of order to make implications of criminality on public
lists

I care about the security of my release signing private key because it's
been used to sign hundreds of open source releases installed on millions of
machine and is deeply embedded into the FOSS WOT. The security of millions
of Linux users world wide depend on people caring enough to secure private
keys like mine. I know there are Linux system admins with keying data also
of great importance to them. I think it's important that people understand
more widely how they can take steps to secure data like this using Linux.

> Spying and espionage existed prior to the invention of the Gnu/Linux
> system, in fact you can even find it in The Holy Bible:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Spies
>
> More recently,
> I don't recall people complaining about being arrested or interrogated at
> an airport because they had a Linux sticker on their laptop.

On private lists, I've never been ridiculed or doubted (it might have
helped that a couple of senior blue chip folks had flown back with me)

BradLUGs always seem to me such an open community ready to share ideas and
experiences about technology. This is the first time I've written in depth
about this on a public list, and after being greeted by hostility, laughter
and ridicule I can see why people don't seem to complain in public.

> Imagine people taking a plane going to Linux or coding conventions ahahaha
> Otherwise every one with an Android phone would become suspect !

The law allows arbitrary detention at UK borders. Anyone who is detained is
by definition not a suspect.

Suspects have rights and must be either arrested or released quickly.

> Also, I was never asked to start my Linux devices in an airport.

Well, jolly good for you :-)

People are detained at UK borders in their thousands (according to the
government). That most people don't understand the law makes it tough to
talk about.

And I'll shut up about this now. I only spoke up because people have
expressed interest in the past.

Robert
 Hi,