[cumbria_lug] Yum...

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 01:37:00 2003

Here's one for all you RPM based distro (you'll have to forgive my Red
Hat bias for the rest of this mail) users out there...

Keeping your system updated is never easy. Let's look at the options.

1) RedHat's up2date is good, but people just don't like paying for it
and the cost is prohibitive for people running several machines.

2) apt4rpm works very well, although I've mainly used it for getting new
applications/libs rather than updating my system.

3) ???

As for 4) I've just discovered yum ( http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/
), which is like up2date and apt4rpm combined but without the custom
servers required for up2date and the large package lists required for
apt4rpm. It works directly with the rpm headers and the rpmdb.
Development is very active, and their looking at ways of extending it
into the enterprise grade package management arena. Why pay for a RHN
Satellite Server when you can deploy your own solution?

I've finished testing it on my main box, and now I'm going to start
using it on all my boxes.

Cheers,
--
Schwuk