[cumbria_lug] Projects...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Fri Dec 12 10:29:11 GMT 2003

Schwuk wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for something suitable?

My suggestion, and the obvious one, is the website.

Web design is (relatively) easy, and PHP is simple language to pick up,
so even the 'newbies' can get involved. What I have in mind for the
website (but don't have the time to do myself) is a custom Content
Management System (CMS). Admittedly, there are lots of CMS's out there,
but I've not found one particularly suited to running a LUG. A LUG is
not really about news, so the likes of Slashcode, PHP-Nuke and Scoop
aren't really suited, nor is our community (currently) large enough to
support the likes of those.

In terms of features, I'm thinking:
  - News feeds - RSS feeds from Slashdot, O'Reilly etc.
  - Article publishing
  - Meeting planner (see my other note about meetings)
  - Lending Library (ala OpenDb - http://opendb.sourceforge.net/ )
  - Member pages/diarys/blogs/screenshots etc.
  - Bulletin Board (possibly)

...and I'm sure others can think of more. Obviously, if we wanted to do
this quickly we could just use various products (like PHP-Nuke, OpenDb
and phpBB) and tie them together in some way (authentication and
consistant look'n'feel are the major problems with this approach), but
because this is 'for fun', we can start from scratch and build things
the way we want, if we want.

At the end of the day, we could build something that will directly
benefit the LUG, and (if we build it right) other LUGs as well.

What do you think?

Cheers,
--
Schwuk