[Cumbria] Red Hat shoots itself in foot?

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 1 00:16:03 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Ken Hough wrote:

> Thanks for info'. It seems that most recent distros are unsuited to
> older PCs. I have SuSE v6.4 still running on a 486 DX2 80 with 18MB
> of RAM. The damn thing just won't die!

Heh, cool. A reliable old box is always better than some fancy modern
kit which falls over after a few weeks! RAM is usually far more
important on UNIX systems than MHz, as swap space is very slow.

> I must confess to never having seen Debian. I've been put off by
> reviews that I've seen over the years. If I find a spare box to play
> with, perhaps I'll beg a copy.

It's certainly harder to approach initially than the other mainstream
distros, but has improved in recent years. A graphical installer is in
the works too. You'll be alright with it, long as you check out the
docs first and know your hardware well. And of course, you'll get very
quick support from this list if you choose to try it!

Mike

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk