[Cumbria] Linux in the workplace

Ian Linwood cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 4 22:16:00 2003

Hello Adam,

Tuesday, February 4, 2003, 9:30:09 AM, you wrote:
> What would anyone recomend for a server sunning  (sic)
> in a corporate environment?  Probably redhat, but something is telling me
> to try debian, i dunno, suggestions welcome, linux here we come!!

I really wouldn't worry about what distro you use, as long as you stick
to generic (GNU) facilities.

Even if Mandrake does go tits up (which would be a shame), you can
still get Linux Kernel upgrades, and upgrade the GNU software as
required.  OK, you won't find the latest software using your distros
funky package manager, but you just need to download the source and
build to suit.

I generally build from source anyway. That way I know exactly what has
been built into an application. I also am more aware of any security
implications of the build. If may be a less convenient way, but at
least I can sleep at night. :-)

--
Best regards,
 Ian                            mailto:ian@darksideofthemoon.org.uk