[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe "discussion"

Chris Plant cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 23:02:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 22:50, David Latimer wrote:
> As someone yet to try Linux seriously, I don't have any prejudice for
> either.  Since both distros appear to be successful, can I suggest that
> far from engaging in intemperate exchanges about which is superior, you
> focus back to the question Ken asked some weeks ago, namely how to sell
> Linux to others.
Don't show them SuSe for a start :p
> This geeky chat is fine if that is what you want but as a novice and an
> unashamed one, much of what has been said is beyond me.  As I told Dave
> M at the last meeting, I want an operating system that I can understand
> for my desktop machine that is an acceptable replacement for MS.  I want
> a normal life without MS not a geek experience with other anoraks.
> Dave's comments were helpful and I intend to learn more.  It seems
> to me though that unless the Linux distro bickering stops, it won't just
> be Spectrums and ZX81's you will be nostalgic for in a few years time.

I don't know what your point is here, but I'm getting the same feeling I
got at the LUG, namely that we'd be better serviced as two groups.
This, however would ruin the whole idea of trading ideas from people who
have spent more time with Linux to people who haven't spent long with
Linux.  Not a suggestion from me, just a vibe.
I enjoy the whole geeky side of things, and the major change since the
LUG died a death is the new life injected into it by people who are more
experienced with Linux.  Its fun to talk to people who have a clue when
it comes to Linux for a change.

Chris