[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe "discussion"

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 11 10:29:24 2003

Michael Saunders wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Ken Hough wrote:
>

>>You haven't been missing much. Until the ground froze, it's been very
>>soggy and it's due to go that way again. Over last month or so, have had
>>10yd visability on Skafell Pike and lunch in a hail storm on Blencathra.
>>It's got to get better ---- I hope!
>>

>Must've been pretty grim up there -- I've heard a tale that on the top of
>Skafell, in perfect conditions, one can (just) make out the Isle of Man,
>Ireland, Scotland (Solway I think) and the coast of Wales with a bit of
>moving around. Once managed to catch the tiniest glimpse of the Welsh
>mountains from Walney (island off Barrow), although that was an
>unnaturally clear day!
>
>Mike

On the contary, conditions here have not been as bad as in many other
parts of the country. It's only recently that the ground has been frozen
hard. We've missed out on the heavy snow that fell in the south.

Last October, I saw Snowdonia quite clearly from a peak in the Helvelyn
area.

I've come to the conclusion that wrt wheather, South Cumbria is a very
gentle area. Moved in here just over 18 months ago. Used to live in
South Bucks and found the summers there too hot and the winters
significantly colder than in the Kendal area.  Also, the fishing here is
pretty good.  No regrets.

Ken