[Cumbria] RH in Give us your data and money shocker!

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Mar 4 00:10:01 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Schwuk wrote:

> Now that would be interesting... How much would people be willing to
> pay for a single subscription that allows them to distribute the
> patches through they're own mini-RHN?

There is such a product, called RHN Satellite Server or something.

Now, I don't admin a large network of machines, but I don't really get
this. What's hard with SSHing into the boxes and "wget... ; rpm -Fvh"
the updated packages? It wouldn't take all that long on 100ish boxes
with a decent pipe to the Net, and would be completely free. Plus, big
security fixes don't appear all that often and wouldn't necessarily
need to be applied to every box immediately.

Yeah, it's not elegant if you're managing 1,000+ boxes, but in that
kind of company RH's pricing is pocket change :)

Ah well, I'm drunkenly ranting on. Cool!

> They are still a long way off becoming 'another MS' though...

Not a "long way". Never.

They can NEVER become "another MS", because they can never be the
single vendor for Linux-based solutions.

Mike

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk