[cumbria_lug] Blocking Spam

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 13:13:03 BST 2004

Schwuk wroted:
The best defense against spam I have found is a combination of having my
own domain name, procmail, and Thunderbird (Mozilla Mail).

The more defenses against spam the better exlaims trevor excitedly.

Jen, hugged me and asked,

If the spam is automatically blocked, how do you know how efficient it is? Or
do they send you a list of messages blocked or something?

Trevor looks kindly at Jen and replies,
Simple, I compare the amount of spam I recieve now
to the amount I recieved before and make an approximate
comparison.  Since I havn't made any changes at my end
the reduction in spam is due to what Demon have done.

Spammers are only aware of two things, the response rate
and the profit line on the balance sheet and it is there
the war against them will be fought.  I will never
contribute to either statistic. It will take time to
defeat them but it will be worth it.

I need to get the wife a copy of 'The proper care and
feeding of husbands' by Dr Laura Schlessinger.
amazon.co.uk here I come.

Trevor Pearson,
IBM advertise Linux on telly, somehow I am always
on the toilet when the ad comes on.  I am destined
not to see it.
Unless it runs on The Wrestling Channel