[cumbria_lug] Topic(s) for next meeting...

Russ Phillips russ at jenruss.plus.com
Thu Mar 18 21:35:07 GMT 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 16:42, Schwuk wrote:
> Before the announcement is posted for the next meeting, I thought it
> would be best to get some ideas for topics before hand. As much fun as
> install fests are... :)
>
> Here's a couple of things I'd like to cover:
>
>   - Streaming media: I've got huge library of MP3 & Ogg files, plus a
> USB Radio. For a project idea, I though it would be fun to set up a
> streaming media server using icecast to stream the files, and ices
> encode the radio input for streaming through icecast.

What's a USB radio? Sounds cool, though.

>   - Services for Unix: I know this is a Microsoft product, and hence
> taboo for some people ;), but I'm interested in seeing what it has to
> offer, and I'm sure others might be too.

Not sure about this one. I always thought Services for Unix was a server
product, that allowed a Windows server to do things like export NFS
directories. Am I wrong, or just woefully misguided? I might be interested to
learn more, although I have no use for a Windows server now, and am unlikely
to have a use for one in the future. So, if it is just a Windows server
thing, I'm less interested than if it could be useful on a Windows client.

Russ

--
As long as you can build a shed, you've got it made
(David Lynch)