[cumbria_lug] Problem booting linux after Win XP reinstall on a dual boot machine

guy.murray at boltblue.com guy.murray at boltblue.com
Sun Oct 17 22:16:31 BST 2004

Hi all,
   would be much obliged if anyone could help with the following as I am
currently Linuxless!

I have (or rather had) a dual boot PC with Windows XP on primary and linux (RH9)
on secondary. BIOS was set to boot from IDE 0 from where GRUB allowed me to
choose which OS I wanted.

I recently reinstalled WIN XP (because it had become so goddamn awful!) with the
idea (no doubt naive) that I merely had to set BIOS to boot from the secondary
drive and It would just boot linux. Then I could setup GRUB again.

But no. BIOS reached IDE 1 and said OK, but then just hung.

What is stopping it booting and what do I need to do to get it to boot again,
other than reinstall RH9?

All help gratefully received!!!

Guy