[cumbria_lug] Problem booting linux after Win XP reinstall on a dual boot machine

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Mon Oct 18 08:58:21 BST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 22:15, guy.murray at boltblue.com wrote:
> What is stopping it booting and what do I need to do to get it to boot again,
> other than reinstall RH9?

Winows XP  has overwritten the Master Boot Record (MBR) of IDE 0. You
need to re-install GRUB to get your system up and running again.

No fear - I have done this many a time!

You need:

a) A boot disk - any will do. Personally I use the first Red Hat/Fedora
install disk (the bootable one), but the same process could be achieved
with the boot floppy you created during install (if you did - I don't),
Knoppix, etc.

Boot off your boot disk (make sure you BIOS boots in the right order).

If you're using the RH/FC install CD, you'll need to do the following.
When prompted by the boot disk, type:

  linux rescue

Then follow the usual prompts (CD media check, language selection,
network etc.). Eventually it will ask you if you want to mount your
installation read-only or not. You should be able to get by with
Read-Only, but I always select full access (or equivalent).

You will not be placed at a shell prompt. Type the following to switch
to your install:

  chroot /mnt/sysimage

(If using the Knoppix or similar, the command is the same but the path
will be different). The shell prompt will look the same, but you are now
in the root (/) of your install.

Type the following to re-install GRUB:

  grub-install /dev/hda

Type 'exit' (or press Ctrl+d) twice to exit your shell prompts and
reboot, then remove your CD.

> All help gratefully received!!!

No problem!

Cheers,