[cumbria_lug] SENDER-ID

Roger Cope roger.cope at morphaniel.com
Fri Sep 17 20:39:04 BST 2004

 This is too subtle for me, but then I'm no longer an active coder and
haven't checked out any sample code for Sender-ID to see what all the fuss
is about. I have (mainly for fun) implemented SPF in my domain records and
having considered the available patches for SPF for Qmail, am awaiting the
release of SpamAssassin 3, which is purported to have an SPF module and if
it still does after the Apache groups hissy fit, will be much easier to
install.

SPF is by no means a complete solution to spam but any step forwards is
welcome. If Microsoft's licence agreement for Sender-ID is open source
incompatible then plain old SPF will do perfectly well. While Microsoft may
well have been caught out in an attempt to hijack a potential open standard
I can't really see that the miniscule difference between SPF and Sender-ID
Framework is worth getting worked up about.

Let's implement SPF across the world and then move on.