[cumbria_lug] Re: [cumria_lug] Linux use

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 14:36:50 GMT 2007

Hey all,

I have SuSE 10.3 running on a DELL XPS Gen2 laptop with Compiz Fusion and very
nice it is too. I use Kontact as my email client and (predominatly) Konqueror
for web access (reverting to firefox when required).

I run SuSE 10.0 on a home built server that provides CCTV, remote power
control (to my collection of DIGITAL Alphas and VAXen), a webserver and
internet-enabled java applications.

I've been using Linux since the Manchester distributions around 1994. I still
use DIGITAL tru64 Unix and OpenVMS.

I've found the latest versions of OpenOffice can handle any convulted word
document thrown at them - this makes it viable for me to use Linux at work
where we have specification documents that sometimes break Word itself.

I'm looking into converting to Kino for video editing. I have dual boot on my
laptop but can't remember when I last booted. I run some applications under
wine and also run Windows XP in a vmware instance when required.

Regards,

Mark.