[cumbria_lug] Ubuntu taking over the world

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 5 12:45:38 UTC 2011

On 05/04/11 13:14, Joachim Jahn wrote:
> P.S. *To all* what is your best Linux Magazine to buy. I currently buy
> Linux Format, but sometimes the articles aren't quite as in depth as I
> would like them.

I think you really have to buy one of each & see.
LXF has interesting articles for home users; LM
has some interesting admin stuff, and the translations
are often better than they were when they started;
LU&D is moving from managers, to more of a techie focus,
and recent tutorials reflect that.

As I've worked for all three, and now write reviews
and the odd feature & tutorial for LU&D I'm
also not going to offer a recommendation ;^)

The American print journals are a little shallow,
though they do have _some_ interesting articles.
Holland, Germany, France & many other countries
have great home-grown Linux magazines, but
the (technical) language is quite demanding if
you're not native - worth a good look though.

Of course there are some great websites that
*almost* beat print journals, but there's something
special about ink, paper, portability & durability :)
... Makes me wonder why a friend & I are kicking round
ideas for a couple of new *nix websites =o)

 - Richard

--
http://www.goodgnus.org/published-works/