[dundee] Buggy Fawn

Bruce Stewart bruce_stewart at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 13:17:30 BST 2007

On Saturday 14 July 2007 11:23:10 Arron Finnon wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have put 7.04 feisty fawn on my system, as this is the one that i have
> been helping out with at uni, and Ubuntu also being a distro that i
> recommend on a regular basis.
>
> This is the first time that i have used it as my main distro (Fawn thats is
> not Ubuntu) and i must admit that i'm far from impressed with this one.
>
> It seems to me to be completely buggy and far from a stable release.
> Programs like Amarok, Democracy Player, Firefox, and Liferea reader are
> just far to unstable and crash all the time.  I am impressed with my boot
> time which i think i have now down to 20 sec's (i must admit that it takes
> GNOME probably a lot longer to fire up than 20 sec's, but i admit that i
> can be on-line within 1min of pressing the on button which to me if very
> good).
>
> However i'm closer to taking it back off my system and moving back to
> Lenny, which seemed 10 times stable.
>
> Fawn gets a finux rating of 6/10 from me.
>
> I know a few on the list have Fawn is any one else experience buggy issues?
>
> Arron M Finnon

Perhaps it's more of a GNOMEish problem :) I'm using Kubuntu and I've had no
real problems. Though there does seem to be issues with Firefox though, I
head it mentioned on the Linux Action Show! that people were having problems
with it on Fiesty and another distro that I can't recall ATM.
But then I had the problem with FF supplied with Kubuntu LTS is that it would
stop filtering the popups, then die.
I had to switch off the taskbar window preview for Beryl as that would cause
the windows to go black or the Window manger provided gadgets would
disappear. This was from the official Beryl repos.

Bruce S.