[dundee] The Ubuntu Team

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 29 18:12:47 BST 2007

self serving?  sure.  myself, i get served very well from Linux & open
source community.  but thats not the reason I use Linux (though it does
serve very very well), I use Linux because I understand the principles
behind it, the great vision, the whole practical philosophy that carries it
(and us) further and faster, safer and more honestly, than propriety could
ever hope to achieve.  I dont know any programming worth mentioning, and
have yet to use my artistic abilities to help out (though i intend to get
around to that), but what i do contribute most of all (perhaps the only
contender being the ideas and suggestions I have to offer those with the
ability to impliment them), is being a walking talking ambassador for the
open source way.  when I started my interest in the end of 2003, I was the
only person I knew with an interest in Linux.  Now... I struggle to think of
a friend who hasnt at least tried it.  from that, it increases the strength
in numbers, that there may be others who also understand, and maybe even
have a few skills to contribute that I don't have.  Having been a distro
surfer for a while, and now more recently a multibooter (5 distros and
counting), I have the advantage of being able to advise people which
distributions to try for their firsts.  Even if someone were using linux in
a very limited non-contributing way, that's ok with me.  it doesn't hurt at
all.  and still increases the chance that maybe that one time they offer a
bug report, or a line of code, or introduce just one other person to Linux,
it just might be that one contribution that propells us ALL into the next
paradigm.  It just might.

:)

(its good to ramble)

ps, where do i get my T-shirt?  :D hahaha.

On 28/06/07, Jason Cormie <Jason-lug at wormwood666.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Gordon Dunlop wrote:
> > Why don't other people think about helping out. Am I mistaken, in that
> > in being a bit old and senile ,  that  people within the Linux community
> > use it for self-serving egotistical purposes. Here is a chance for
> > people that truly love Linux, to sign up to help the KDE conference ,
> > meet the people behind the scenes. Support the developers. Sorry! I
> > might get too emotional about my beliefs but at least I am being honest.
>
> Too right Gordon, go for it.
>
> I'm not a KDE or ubuntu guy but I would be along if I was free for this
> (honest).  The whole point about this open source business is the ability
> of
> the user to interact with the provider, until the point the line is
> blurred.
> I'm not a developer, nor a graphic designer, I only speak one (human)
> language
> so to contribute to the movement I report bugs and try to close some of
> the
> easier ones if possible.  Bug squashing is fun!!!
>
> So far I've had umpteen changes to debian packages and patches in
> mailscanner
> & grub.  Last month I was testing a 2.6.22 kernel patch for amd64 with ati
> graphics cards, I tested a fix from Dave Airlie , then it went into the
> next
> release candidate.
>
> This is how I pay back the community... and I don't get a T shirt ;-)
>

> --
> Jason Cormie

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.