[dundee] new member

Nistur Effee nistur at karate.com
Fri Mar 30 09:18:41 BST 2007

Ok, I've been to the last(/first) 2 meetings and enjoyed myself. I was the guy with the redhat the first time.
Anyway, I don't feel I have enough experience in many matters to give a talk on much unfortunately, but I am willing if anyone thinks I know anything.
I just thought I'd give a little background info though as I have got a bit of knowledge about the different distros.
I started in (counts back the years) December 2003 with my first ever linux install. I used Mandrake 9.2 (with the KDE desktop environment) since then I have switched to Fedora Core (hence the hat) and have used FC2, 3, 4, 5 and a small amount of 6. Mostly I have used the Gnome desktop as I found it more to my liking than KDE (ie dies less)
I also attempted during that time to install Suse but failed as I couldn't get it to not want to repartition my entire harddrive.
I have also built two working Linux from Scratch builds and gone further with one to try and install an X server (no luck, need more practice)
Recently, while starting university I have also used my girlfriends Gentoo install and also set up our new router (800MHz Compaq box) using, to start off with leaf bering linux and then changing it to Gentoo when we found it difficult to get the speedtouch modem working.
I have also myself recently switched from FC5 to ArchLinux for the main reason I found FC too bulky. There was a lot more than I needed and I found Arch Linux easy to get along with. I now have it installed on both my laptop and my PC.
I have had a limited exposure to Ubuntu (no more please!) and I am not so keen on "the bells and whistles" in terms of eye candy so I can't say Mint holds too much interest for me.

I think that's about it. I currently have a Cedega subscription and have a few games working under it, although on my PC, which has a nVidia card (my laptop has ATI *sigh*)

If anyone feels I can in some way contribute to the society then please tell me and I will do my best. I have had a lot of success with Linux, mainly thanks to LinuxQuestions.org so I have a few subjects I can at least help with.