[dundee] Network bandwidth

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 22:28:42 GMT 2007

okay, for a start, use netcat to pipe stuff between your
machines, that will rule out any winblows smb bull that
may be effecting performance.

are you...

using Jumbo Frames. 9000 bytes frames are good for irq's overloads.

tcp check sum offloading, some drivers are either broken,
or you need to turn it on specifically.

some gigabit network drivers don't got in to polling mode when
there lots of interrupts being generated, that's bad, really
really bad...NAPI is good!

make sure you gigabit switch is actually capable of switching
frames at gigabits speeds, some backplanes,switching fabrics
are not no blocking.

have a look at your cpu util when doing gigabit transfers?
what does it look like.

okay...try this

setup a ram disk on two machines
create a large file on in ram on one of the machines

and netcat to the other and see what performance you get.

http://datatag.web.cern.ch/datatag/howto/tcp.html

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3485486

Paul Lancaster <paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: Hi all

Ive now installed my Gigabit switch, and in three m/c's a Gigabit NIC.
Only down side is i'm only getting approx 6Mbit (5%)transfer rate.
I have managed to get 11Mbit/sec between two WinXP m/c's. after manually
selecting 1000 Full Duplex.
I cant find a similar option within PCLinux
All transfers via SMB - SMB server running on PClinuxOS

Cards in use
TP-Linx TG-3269 RTL 8169   - 2 off
Marvel Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010  chip set integrated on m/board

TP link Gigabit Switch with Cat5E cabling

Any hints on how to improve performance, or is the best I can expect.

Paul

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk