[dundee] Fedora Core 3 htree error

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Sat Oct 13 11:27:58 BST 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:56:10 +0100, Alan S Frost wrote:

> Thanks Gordon for the speedy response.
>
> I have no problems with any of the files within /etc only the /etc
> attributes.
>
> Yesterday (11th Oct) when I first became aware of the situation it it
> locked down (made read-only) all of the files in the /etc tree until
> I rebooted the server this morning. I am now able to read & write to
> files in the /etc tree successfully.  The "lsattr /etc" attributes
> still remain the same though "----------I-- /etc". As you will see
> from my previous post this problem also affected "/sbin" directory as
> well. I have searched high and low on the web and have not found a
> suitable reason for the cause nor a solution.

I don't know what your problem was, but as I said, it's not the I
 flag. The I flag means that the directory is using htree indexing
to speed up file lookup. It's quite normal and desired.

It does sound like your filesystem got (re)mounted read-only. I'd check
your logs for any errors. You may find soon your filesystem won't mount
at all!

Hope that clarifies it.

Andrew