[dundee] LPIC

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 20:52:04 BST 2007

I really should just let it go but I feel like I've been
misinterpreted or I've put my point across wrong:

gordon dunlop wrote:
> Let me give you an overview of the situation Kris. The Abertay Linux
> Society consists of students, professional IT people and general Linux
> enthusiasts. There is a great mixture of experience, age, race,
> religion, creed & Linux distribution preferences, the vast majority are
> also Taylug members. We are not just a Linux group (talking about Linux
> things) but are also a social group. We act like a community where
> knowledge and friendship is shared irrespective of experience.

um... I agree, its a given there was never any argument or confusion
over this fact.

> The LPIC certification is an opportunity for the society to help each other out
> both professionally and personally using a non-distribution specific
> training program, maintaining unity and a community spirit at a
> reasonable financial cost. The certification will benefit both new and
> experienced members alike.

My main point about LPIC was why, its not the easiest, cheapest or
most well known. I just wanted to know what discussion went on about
it and ultimately why it was chosen.

> will now stop being diplomatic in order to
> get my point across. You say you like the practical model used by Redhat
> and Novell with hands-on actual problem solving and troubleshooting?
> What the f**ck have I been doing for the past few years with Fedora and
> openSuSe? Other Taylug members will be probably doing the same. We all
> use Linux on our workstations and/or laptops, tell some of our Gentoo
> users that they need hands-on problem solving in Linux, what planet do
> you live on?

Okay here, I was not making a cheap dig and I apologise if it was
interpreted as such. My harping was mostly to do with certification
models. I was not saying that members, or users of any distro don't
have a variety of skills, I was also not endorsing the companies that
use the practical model, I just felt the practical model would be
easier both in teaching and in passing.

> Yeah it would be good if there was a Linux Lab at Abertay,
> not for Linux certification purposes, but for real Linux hacking. We are
> not Microsoft people so do not compare the Microsoft certification model
> with Linux certification,

I do not consider Microsoft intrinsically evil and so this was not a
dirty analogy again I apologise if it was interpreted as such. I used
Microsoft as I believed it was the best known certification I could of
just as easily said CompTIA; ideology aside there are two
certification models.

> we Linux people really care about our
> operating system. I am sorry if I coming over a bit sharp Kris but we
> are not fools so do not treat us as such.

I was not treating anyone as a fool or denigrating the knowledge of
others and once again I apologise if I was interpreted as such.

Kris