[dundee] LPIC

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 23:12:35 BST 2007

now, now boys, don't be getting all upset about things, and breaking your keyboards.

I see both your points actually..

multiple choice questions test your memory, not the way
that you problem solve.

You'll find the cisco exams, test your actually doing, i.e
real machines, with real problems that you have to fix.

I think both testing methods are valid, and you both have
valid arguments, but hey, simmer down a bit, or I'll have
to delete both your kernels... ;-)..

it's hard, perhaps we should make our own exam up, which
is vendor neutral???

back in the 90's I used to run every flavour of unix, at the same time, it was a nightmare, it was unix on every machine, but the way you administered it was different...it did my head in, that's why I changed to NT!! how wrong could I have been...but at least you had the same environment where every you logged in (even it it was rubbish).

so, distro's to me are kinda the devil, they all try to do things
differently, all have different political, business and ethical aims..perhaps one day, all linux operating systems will recombine into one big happy OS!!!! then again..perhaps not!

LSB is a good start...

but to sum up, I know there's a lot of passion on this list, and I can see it from when I talk to people, don't let get all upset over technical issues...remember people, everything you do when you sit down at a computer 'DOES NOT EXIST'

once you work that out, then you can go a buy an upgrade to vista ;-)

Laters,
Lee

Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com> wrote: I really should just let it go but I feel like I've been
misinterpreted or I've put my point across wrong:

gordon dunlop wrote:
> Let me give you an overview of the situation Kris. The Abertay Linux
> Society consists of students, professional IT people and general Linux
> enthusiasts. There is a great mixture of experience, age, race,
> religion, creed & Linux distribution preferences, the vast majority are
> also Taylug members. We are not just a Linux group (talking about Linux
> things) but are also a social group. We act like a community where
> knowledge and friendship is shared irrespective of experience.

um... I agree, its a given there was never any argument or confusion
over this fact.

> The LPIC certification is an opportunity for the society to help each other out
> both professionally and personally using a non-distribution specific
> training program, maintaining unity and a community spirit at a
> reasonable financial cost. The certification will benefit both new and
> experienced members alike.

My main point about LPIC was why, its not the easiest, cheapest or
most well known. I just wanted to know what discussion went on about
it and ultimately why it was chosen.

> will now stop being diplomatic in order to
> get my point across. You say you like the practical model used by Redhat
> and Novell with hands-on actual problem solving and troubleshooting?
> What the f**ck have I been doing for the past few years with Fedora and
> openSuSe? Other Taylug members will be probably doing the same. We all
> use Linux on our workstations and/or laptops, tell some of our Gentoo
> users that they need hands-on problem solving in Linux, what planet do
> you live on?

Okay here, I was not making a cheap dig and I apologise if it was
interpreted as such. My harping was mostly to do with certification
models. I was not saying that members, or users of any distro don't
have a variety of skills, I was also not endorsing the companies that
use the practical model, I just felt the practical model would be
easier both in teaching and in passing.

> Yeah it would be good if there was a Linux Lab at Abertay,
> not for Linux certification purposes, but for real Linux hacking. We are
> not Microsoft people so do not compare the Microsoft certification model
> with Linux certification,

I do not consider Microsoft intrinsically evil and so this was not a
dirty analogy again I apologise if it was interpreted as such. I used
Microsoft as I believed it was the best known certification I could of
just as easily said CompTIA; ideology aside there are two
certification models.

> we Linux people really care about our
> operating system. I am sorry if I coming over a bit sharp Kris but we
> are not fools so do not treat us as such.

I was not treating anyone as a fool or denigrating the knowledge of
others and once again I apologise if I was interpreted as such.

Kris

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk