[dundee] partitions

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:52:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Jacek Sapieja <sapieja at interia.pl> wrote:

>       Partitons problem is secondary. I want winxp to be visible
>       on boot menu. I wanted to that through menu.lst but I am not sure
> how.
>       James just told me that drive format is not enough and partitions
> must be deleted.
>
>       Anyway, I either dont know hoe to use fdisk or sth is wrong because I
> cannot acces partitons
>       through commands. I know I must access the table and check whether
> partitions overlap.
>
>       All I want to do is:
>
>       -Make windows visible in the boot options ( after GRUB reinstall only
> ubuntu is there).
>       -be able to move and merge partitions of format (delete and format?)
> and set up new partitions.
>

>                             Jacek

By default GRUB Hides the menu .

Now search the section that looks like this

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
hiddenmenu

*Show GRUB Menu*

Put a # before hiddenmenu to comment that line out

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
#hiddenmenu
Save the file, and you should see the menu the when you reboot your machine.

 if you add

title           WinXP
root            (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

to menu.lst  where (hd0,0) refers to your hd0 refers to master hd and the
following 0 refers to the partition no. in this case the first partition.
this will boot, windows xp.

hope that helps
azmodie
--
" Due to the speed of light being faster than the speed of sound people
often look bright until they speak"