[dundee] Change of Distro - light blue touchpaper and retire

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 14:49:09 UTC 2009

well this thread is huge, so people must have something to say on this.

Me personally, for servers, I'd install openvz, it's awesome (thanks Gordon)...

then you can run everything , and all o/s at the same time!!!! :-)

need a squid server, just make one...

need a mail server, just make one...

one service..one machine... you don't need package management if all you have
is a kernel and a network 'service'. Job done, no more software conflicts?

need to upgrade, just copy the / to another directory, and boot up. upgrade and test.
working? no love lost.

performance? I get better performance with openvz then I do with a stock kernel!!!

I don't know why, but I do.

Finally use a network raid device (drdb) and you can get transparent mirroring!!!

I might even do a talk on this soon, either that or gpxe/aoe stuff!!!!

Cheers,
Lee