[dundee] Broadband Providers

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 15:39:26 UTC 2009

I don't really understand isp that have caps...

say I have 20gb cap?  sending my data to linx,, over a switch to another uk
isp/data center and then back again (hopefully) is that the same 'cost' as downloading
20gb from japan or new zealand? of course not. So non sea cable/sat links
(i.e expensive to maintain and install) are charged no differently to copper wires that
have been installed since the 1900's?

what if I was to down 20gb for A & A servers, do I get metered for that?

whats wrong with the old frame relay way of doing things? i.e you given 128kb/s a second,
but you can burst when you need it? It just makes so much sense? you don't need 50mb/s
when sending a email, however you need it for large files. So ISP's should give you
a 1:1 contented 128kb/s link, but you can burst 32mb when ever you need it.
(and you pay for this). Imagine being able to burst to 1 gigabit but only for seconds.
Thats a couple of distro's you've just downloaded.

Using this simple way of doing things, you could probably support the entire internet
usage in the uk on a single fiber optic cable. (yep, that's right, 1 fecking cable).
The technology is there.......

so when you think of it's this way,  your being ripped of. well what about the service
you say.. try and find any isp that does 'service' you best hope is Zen/Newnet.
But unfortuantly, due to the comms regulation on this island, you've got no chance of getting anything of high quality.

data networking is not difficult, not smoke and mirrors..... it's very simple, do you think
BT invented the internet?

I find this very bizzare?

I much prefered the internet when people just hung cables out of windows, and connected
it together willy nilly.

You payfor everything, don't you think raw data (not information) should be
zero cost, It's not like it actually really exists does it. (it's a electrons , photons &radio waves)

Data communication is not telephone calls!!! stop treating it this way.

metering internet bandwidth is a very stupid idea for a very small island.

but then again that's what you get in this country...

I'd certainly recommend that some of you lot get together and start you own isp
using h2o as you metro transit. forget dsl (dodgy subscriber line) it's just a joke in
my book. It's a cost saving. start laying some fiber.. it's the only way to go.

If ISP offer you no more than a data connection, i.e no support, no email,. no usenet,
then why do you actually need an ISP, if ther is not Service?

I wonder what the ISP industry would look like if we unbundled the power of BT twety
years ago? It's that age old question, how to you privatise a monoploy.....

answer is you don't....

Cheers,
Lee