[dundee] Emacs and org-mode

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:08:32 UTC 2010

You need to, or rather I've needed to compile twice in my setup. There
are a few files that get created in the first compilation that aren't
pulled into the final document until step two (TOC, references) also
to update page numbers etc if these files exist from a previous
compilation. I did mine fairly low level though without a make file
etc.

Different degree (and I'm aware at the disparaging remarks leveled at
the degree but some gaming lecturers, but anyway) I only wrote about
12,000 words left it to the last minute like usual. Some of my
classmates were at the 25,000 words plus level. I was craping myself,
but I didn't need to. I talked with lecturers afterwards and it was
the standard quality over quantity consideration.

Its fairly easy to convert the references and it'll pay off when you
do the paper, Google Scholar has Bibtex files so you could just search
download them copy all the files into one.

Kris

On 17 May 2010 14:47, Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote:
> As I have been using emacs, there is an emacs mode (of course) for BibTex :P
>
> I think it was mainly that which confused me.
> Also, still not sure what "compiling twice" means (apart from the
> obvious... I mean, why compile twice?)
> but I guess if I use emacs to do that... it'll do it automagically
> when I export :P
>
> I do really wish that I'd used BibTex. I still have around 2,000 words
> I should write on my dissertation, and probably a further 2,000 that I
> will end up writing on top of that. If I have everything done in time
> I _may_ convert my references to using BibTex. We shall see.
>
> Nistur
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Axel <newsletter at axelbor.de> wrote:
>> BibTex is brilliant and make your live easier, but please don't write
>> the bib file by oneself.
>>
>> Use something such as KBibTex to crate and manage the bib file. A
>> benefit is you can just key in the title into the search field and
>> download all other information from the internet.
>>
>> There is also support for is brilliant Harvard style (*lol*):
>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/harvard/ There is
>> no warranty, I never use this packages.
>>

>> Quoting Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Bibtex is fairly easy its just standard LaTeX in a different file,
>>> makes referencing a bit more automated.
>>>
>>> for example in my abertaydissertation.tex I have:
>>>
>>> % Bibliography
>>> \nocite{*} % include everything in the abertaydissertation.bib file
>>> \bibliographystyle{plain} % I hate Harvard referencing its for
>>> humanities students, stupid university.
>>> \bibliography{abertaydissertation}
>>>
>>> ... use of internal private addresses \cite{rfc:priv}, NAT
>>> \cite{rfc:nat1,rfc:nat2} and CIDR \cite{rfc:cidr1,rfc:cidr2} has
>>> helped...
>>>
>>> then in the abertaydissertation.bib file I have:
>>>
>>> @misc{rfc:cidr2,
>>> author="F. Baker and E. Lear and R. Droms",
>>> title="{Procedures for Renumbering an IPv6 Network without a Flag Day}",
>>> series="Request for Comments",
>>> number="4192",
>>> howpublished="RFC 4192 (Informational)",
>>> publisher="IETF",
>>> organization="Internet Engineering Task Force",
>>> year=2005,
>>> month=September,
>>> note="\texttt{\url{http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4192.txt} [last accessed