[ExeterLUG] Schools/STEMnet/DBS checks

Martijn Grooten dcglug at lapsedordinary.net
Mon Mar 17 18:29:29 UTC 2014

[Sent this one last night but forgot I use a different address for this
list, which isn't the DCGLUG.]

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:20:07AM +0000, Mark Evans wrote:
> A question I have never received an adequate answer to is how
> Police/CRB/DBS checks can be applied to anyone from outside the UK.

I'm not 100% sure, but I recall that when my wife had a to have CRB
check performed, she needed to get some documents from back home. I'm
pretty sure I didn't, but then I was merely someone who occasionally
did some things around the school; she was a teacher. (We are both
what the Daily Mail would call "IMMMIGRANTS".)

> There have been cases of people making multiple applications and
> getting
> different results back. Such systems will always generate "false
> positives".

And the stigma resulting from false positives is far worse than the fact
that someone will not get a certain job.

> Bruce Schneier coined the term "security theatre" to describe such
> things. About the only thing they can possibly do is make the ignorant
> feel better.

This.

Martijn.