[ExeterLUG] Schools/STEMnet/DBS checks

Paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Mon Mar 17 18:53:14 UTC 2014

> [Sent this one last night but forgot I use a different address for this
> list, which isn't the DCGLUG.]
>
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:20:07AM +0000, Mark Evans wrote:
>> A question I have never received an adequate answer to is how
>> Police/CRB/DBS checks can be applied to anyone from outside the UK.
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but I recall that when my wife had a to have CRB
> check performed, she needed to get some documents from back home. I'm
> pretty sure I didn't, but then I was merely someone who occasionally
> did some things around the school; she was a teacher. (We are both
> what the Daily Mail would call "IMMMIGRANTS".)
>
>> There have been cases of people making multiple applications and
>> getting
>> different results back. Such systems will always generate "false
>> positives".
>
> And the stigma resulting from false positives is far worse than the fact
> that someone will not get a certain job.
>
>> Bruce Schneier coined the term "security theatre" to describe such
>> things. About the only thing they can possibly do is make the ignorant
>> feel better.
>
> This.
>
> Martijn.

Regular contact is more than once a month,  and yeah you need id for example

passport
drivers license
birth certificate

and something like a bank statement with your address on

And yes DBS certs are transferable

https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service

This applies, as I said before providing, that it is the same level so an
employer needing a standard (no list 99 checks) cannot see an enhanced
certificate.

But it is then possible to have several DBSs certs on your update account,
 anyway.  So they run the update on the appropriate one.

much easier.

Paul