[Falkirk] Volunteers wanted for the website

Greg Sutcliffe greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 18:41:05 UTC 2015

On 10 September 2015 at 15:59, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Greg Sutcliffe <greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Following up on this then - sounds like we're agreed on something
>> simple, probably statically generated and the source held somewhere
>> public, and the actual site on some simple hosting platform.
>
> Why not, then, use GitHub Pages?  The site is a GitHub repo, and the
> hosting is handled by them.

I don't have any strong argument either way, save that I'm familiar
with Openshift and not with GitHub Pages. Both are free, both are
backed by git. On one hand, if we choose to add more weighty features,
Openshift can support that easily (I run several Rails/PostgreSQL app
there for example). But on the other hand, if we decide to do that,
migration of the static site as a first step would be equally trivial.
It's a flip of a coin really.

>  Using a custom domain name rather than
> <projectname>.github.io is as simple as putting the new name in a file
> in the root of the repo and committing.

Who handles the DNS? I assume we need to CNAME at least?

> If you want a hand, I'm happy to help, did this a while back for a web
> community I'm part of: http://evolt.org/
> https://github.com/evoltorg/evoltorg.github.io

Thanks for the offer!

Greg