[Gllug] Combined phone and broadband in the Barnet Area

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 04:42:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 15:44 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> No, it's a typo - It should say £98+VAT.

Is it just my perception, or are telecoms charges outrageous in this
country?

In the 'States, two years ago, I wanted a phone line (and ADSL)
connected to a newly built property.  There was no "connection charge",
it was installed next day, and the "cellular option" (which allowed
diversion of your home line to a mobile phone at no charge as long as
you were in the same city) cost an additional $75 deposit for the 'phone
(refundable) and $9 per month.  Mobile call charges were the same as the
land line ones as long as you were in the same city - if you left, you
were charged at mobile rates.  Line charge was $5.75 per month, local
calls were free, and long distance and international calls were
significantly cheaper than European prices.

In this country, the telcos just seem to charge "what the market will
bear" and their arbitrary pricing has nothing whatsoever to do with the
actual costs of providing infrastructure or the cost of conveying calls!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk