[Gllug] copying hard drives

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Mon Sep 5 23:45:47 UTC 2011

On 06/09/11 00:40, Oliver Krimpas wrote:
> Unfortunately the sourceforge software doesn't install on my Mac (errors). And a Mac cannot read and write Ext2 files. Plus the USB discs I am using would have to be correctly formatted first, before copying the information over to them.
A friendly word of advice - just saying that it "doesn't install
(errors)" does not give anybody the chance to help you with the problem.
What errors were reported, and at what stage of the installation? Unlike
a lot of commercial software (which I guess you may be more accustomed
to?), the type of software posted on SourceForge is likely to give you
detailed information about the errors, being more collaborative in nature.

If you need to read/write USB sticks between PC/Mac/Linux devices, a
basic FAT32 filesystem should suffice. Most USB sticks come FAT32
formatted. On Linux, this would be a simple "mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc" (if
/dev/sdc is your USB stick, of course - run "dmesg" to check the most
recently inserted USB device). On Windows, I believe it will offer to
format a blank device, and I suspect that a Mac would do the same.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk