[GLLUG] -diesel generator WAS: Hardware bits for sale

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Nov 11 00:08:41 UTC 2012

On Fri 09 Nov, MJ wrote:

> How about connecting WFC like Dr Crampton does or petrol engine, but with JOE cell con
> nected to it. All one needs is a good clean H2O source. Hmmmm let me think; a rain . .
>  . Yar that does it. Off course on a living soul should know.
> --

   I have often worked with power from generators and can assure you that
they are not problem-free. Apart from problems getting them to start in cold
weather (we used pure ether) or doing a slow run-down if they fail or run
out of diesel which can blow fuses as the frequency drops below about 45Hz
and transformers start to look like dead shorts, we have had several take
off as the speed control system failed, one had irregular speed variations
as air bubbles were sucked into the fuel past a loose pipe clamp, and a
series of problems with very narrow but enormous voltage spikes caused by
the electronic speed and voltage controller. Make sure that there is only
one output controller/regulator, otherwise it will probably hunt, with
increasing variations of speed.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk