[GLLUG] Caution with recruitment agencies

James Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 07:39:11 UTC 2023

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 at 21:00, Martin A. Brooks via GLLUG <
gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Even after 20-odd years as a contractor, you can still be surprised by
> recruitment agencies.  A contract recently blew up on me in a new and
> exciting way, here's the story:
>

> https://blog.hinterlands.org/2023/06/when-contract-hunting-goes-wrong-teksystems-allegis-group/

Hi,

I guess the moral of this story is to get an actual contract signed before
committing to anything.
The blog makes it clear that there was no contract in place.
"The agency was trying to obtain a Scope Of Work from them which would lead
to an actual contract being drawn up for signing."

I remember some time back that I went for an interview and talked to the
director of the company. They wanted me for the job and the director said
they would be sending a contract through soon.
The contract never arrived (weeks passed), and I found a job elsewhere in
the meantime. When I received the offer / contract for signing from the
second company, it was for considerably more money than the first company
offered. I rang the first company and told them that as the contract had
not arrived I would be taking the second job. When I talked to the director
again at the first company he said he had assumed I was on board already.
Apparently their HR person has messed up and dropped the ball. The first
company then upped their offer to a value I could not refuse and the
contract arrived the next day.
Thus supporting the moral that unless an actual contract arrives for
signing, don't commit to anything.

Kind Regards

James