[Herts] black hole emails

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Tue Feb 7 15:32:10 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:09:48PM +0000, Tony Friis wrote:

> Does anyone know how to send an email to oblivion?
> I have an ISP who lets me use any number of emails in front of my domain
> name, such as this at friis.co.uk that at friis.co.uk or theother at friis.co.uk
> one or two of these (say that at friis.co.uk) now collect so much spam I
> just want to throw them all away. At present I use an email rule in
> Thunderbird to send them straight to trash, but I still have to empty
> them from the trash.
>
> My ISP lets me redirect any particular address like that at friis.co.uk
> wherever I want, I was hoping to redirect it to somewhere like - perhaps
>
>     blackhole at null.com

I don't know of such an address and would be surprised if anyone ran
one. There shouldn't be a need for such a thing and it would waste a lot
of bandwidth.

A better option would be to ask the ISP to only accept mail for the
addresses you actually use - if you can configure redirections flexibly
I'd have thought they could do this (it's something we[1] offer at least).

Catch-all addresses are really a very bad idea these days. You're almost
certain to amplify your spam levels doing this.

Cheers,

Dominic.

[1] http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/