[Herts] Sound talk

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Mon Jun 25 09:04:01 BST 2007

spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:08:24PM +0000, David Honour wrote:
>> As a general invitation bring whatever you want to bring, I can provide mics
>> etc..
>>
>> I was thinking that I would bring:
>> -An electric guitar (possibly a les paul or a strat)
>> -A pod (effects pedal)
>> -An electro-accoustic guitar (steel strings)
>> -My pc (with midi cables)
>> -PA (for mixer and amplification)
>> -Keyboard (Yamha P90)
>> -Drum machine (some old Boss thing)
>> -Couple of dynamic mics
>> -Couple of instrument condenser mics
>> -Maybe violin/mandolin/ukelele

> That's a lot to bring! Maybe we can share the load and each bring
> something. I have mics+stands+cables, etc.

I would think that to have a realistic chance of getting anything done
that we should try and keep the instruments to a minimum. Perhaps a
keyboard, a guitar, some sort of drums and a microphone for vocals.

I'm not sure the rest of the people using the venue will appreciate us
being too loud. We're going to have to use headphones for anyone playing
into a microphone anyway. A reasonable pair of desktop speakers should
be enough for everyone to hear the results. I can bring my Yamahas
(2x10W) if required.

I've been wanting to do something musical with my computer for years,
but have been putting it off. I think this session should be a general
introduction to what is involved rather than an effort to produce a
major musical work. There may even be scope for a LUG musical sub-group
who can take it further, perhaps by visiting each others 'studios'.

Anyroads, I can bring along an electric or electro-acoustic guitar and
my Pandora effects box. How about a meet-up on IRC before the meeting to
finalise arrangements? I can do most evenings so name a time.

> Can I play drums? (no sniggering at the back)

Cue the drummer jokes ;)

> Can July's meeting be designated as a MUSIC NIGHT, since all this
> gear will be being setup? It would be ideal to have the whole three
> hours to focus on David's demo and the ensuing chaos ;-)

We should at least get all the equipment there from 7:30 so that we can
get set up and iron out any niggles. We need to make sure we have enough
sockets!