[Herts] Good to see some activity on this LUG

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Sat Feb 14 20:15:14 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009 19:32:22 Darren Reilly wrote:
> Hi Steve & fellow lugers

> Suggesting a facebook group is completely wrong on so many levels I
> don't even know where to start.....

I wasn't suggesting Facebook as a realistic option. We should be using open
systems, but there are options beyond mailing lists and IRC that may be worth
exploring. Things have moved on in the last 25 years, not always for the
better.

> While I am by no means trying to start a flame war of any sort.  If I
> suggested such a thing in any tech environments let alone a Linux group.
> I would expect to be slapped very had with a very big wet fish.....so
> please consider yourself fish slapped.

<Steve wipes fish scapes from his face>

> I think you knew that was a terrible idea yourself.

Yeah <looks at feet>

> So while I am all in favour of more activity on the LUG mailing list,
> please can we keep the mailing list more active and busy and have no
> more of this facebook silliness J

Hey, I inspired some extra activity on the list, so I must be doing something
right. As long as we keep it friendly.

> This post is meant in good nature but with a seriousness of Linux values
> also.....

Email is famously bad at conveying emotion. That's why we have smilies ;)

I'll continue to use this list. I may even post with my current Kubuntu issues
to see if anyone has some suggestions.