[Hudlug] Blueyonder Broadband

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 7 12:30:01 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 11:59, R.I.Kirkcaldy@Bradford.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks everybody for the help.  Will DHCPD automatically get the dns addresses
> from resolve.conf - or will I have to put it in dhcpd.conf manually?  I suppose
> the DNS won't keep changing, and it's a fairly small network, so I might as
> well setup DNS on the windows machines manually.
>
> Using a spare 486 really isn't an option.  I'd need an ISA network card for the
> 486, and all our windows machines have PCI only.  Blueyonder will only install
> on windows (98 or above).  Plus, I want to run sshd & ftp.

Thats the only problem about an old 486: ISA slots.  I picked up two ISA
network card for mine of huddersfield secondhand market!!

Perhaps a low end Pentium p75 ish with PCI might be better!

Are you sure you need win98 to install Blueyonder?  NTL say a windows
machine is needed for the cable modem install, but basically they're
saying they only support windows.  When I had my cable modem installed,
I just got the man to plug it into the wall. I did all the rest!

This is a FAQ for setting up Blueyonder with another firewall/router
distro "Smoothwall"

http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BySwFAQ.html

As for FTP SSHD wtc.. AFAIR Freesco will run these although of course
without a hard drive it's  abit pointless.  Although you can of course
run it of a hard drive instead of a single floppy!

Cheers
Chris