[Hudlug] Help in linux setup

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 19:07:01 2003

On Monday 31 Mar 2003 6:53 pm, davepattern@ntlworld.com wrote:

> I know I've only managed to attend one HoS, and that was by accident
> (just happened to be in there and heard the magic word "telnet"
> across the pub!), but I think a while back we discussed the
> possibility of a more formal meeting/event.
>
> I think there's at least one other Hudlugger (apart from myself) who
> works for the University and we might be able to wrangle one of their
> meeting rooms - possibly even with presentation facilities.
>
> I'd be happy to have a go doing a talk, although I'm not sure how
> interested you'd all be in e-learning interoperability standards :-D
> I can probably bluff my way thru something to do with Apache, Perl or
> mod_perl if that's of more interest... or even a beginners talk on
> Perl (although you can probably find a lot better on the web!)
>
> Could the other University Hudluggers please announce themselves and
> say whether or not they in a position to wrangle meeting rooms for
> free?  I'm currently working in the Learning Centre (on the old admin
> corridor on floor six near the personnel office), as a web
> developer/project officer on the INFORMS Project
> (http://informs.hud.ac.uk).
>
> Davey P

Excellent idea.  Last month for the first time I went to the wylug meet. =
=20
Their model is talks and Q & A for the first hour or more, then on to the=
 pub=20
for relaxed talks later.  I like that.

Seems to me we have some 'experts' that could do a short talk on some asp=
ects=20
that interest them.  At the same time there are some problems/projects th=
at=20
many of us come up against from time to time, where someone talking about=
 how=20
they solved it would be interesting.  Perhaps we could get a list of area=
s=20
that people would like to see discussed.

I hope this idea can be carried forward.  Pub meeting rooms may be availa=
ble,=20
but they are often out of town, so not so accessible for many people.

Anne
--=20
Registered Linux User No.293302