[Hudlug] linux accessability

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:03:10 GMT 2006

On 2/27/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 27 February 2006 11:03, Ben Fowler wrote:
> >
> > O.K. You have mentioned GNUcash at least twice. Is this an important
> > activity for you? I would at once suggest that there is a privacy and
> > perhaps a security issue here.
>
> I've used GnuCash.  It can do most things, but I certainly wouldn't call it
> intuitive.

Which is why I questioned the choice of this application as a 'proof of
concept'. I am not familiar with it, but I would rate it as quite difficult.

Howver, it is Michael's call, and Michael, if GNUcash is important to
you and/or is your choice; then that is application whose interface
to Gnopernicus we will establish, and whose accessibility we will review.

>There are other possibilities, like Kmymoney, though I don't know
> anything about them.  Perhaps some other member has tried them.  If not, I'd
> be willing to try something out and report back.  I'd be doubtful about
> recommending GnuCash to a sighted person unless he/she had both accounting
> experience and determination.

Did you mean 'even to a sighted person', or is there a typo there?

Yes, GNUcash is aimed at people who have or who will soon have some
accounting experience, but the opposite end of this see-saw is that
knowledge of this application will probably be more useful and more
transferable than that of other applications. All I am saying is that one
should be aware of what one is getting into, but if your eyes are open,
then it is a perfectly reasonable choice.

(For ordinary home use and budgeting, a spreadsheet will do just
fine)!

Also, though I haven't verified this,. I am fairly sure that GNUcash
files and output are accepted by third parties (also true of SQL Ledger)
and this means that for serious use, GNUcash is in the running and
there is some point in striding over its learning curve.

> As for the privacy issue, the general recommendation for any accounting
> application is to set up a test account that can be played around with.  Most
> accounting programs can handle more than one 'company', so I'm assuming that
> this is true of the home-accounts packages.  If not, it will be possible to
> temporarily rename Michael's own files and start a test account.

I hadn't thought of that. Last time I tried, the software thought that
I was setting
up some sort of hand wash laundering scheme.

> I'd be willing to help research the possibilities, although I'm going to be
> away for the next few days.

I am not laying down the law, but I am sure that this is a many hands
might light work scheme rather than a cooks and kitchen one.

Ben.