[Hudlug] linux accessability

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 13:34:57 GMT 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 13:03, Ben Fowler wrote:
> On 2/27/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Monday 27 February 2006 11:03, Ben Fowler wrote:
> > > O.K. You have mentioned GNUcash at least twice. Is this an important
> > > activity for you? I would at once suggest that there is a privacy and
> > > perhaps a security issue here.
> >
> > I've used GnuCash.  It can do most things, but I certainly wouldn't call
> > it intuitive.
>
> Which is why I questioned the choice of this application as a 'proof of
> concept'. I am not familiar with it, but I would rate it as quite
> difficult.
>
> Howver, it is Michael's call, and Michael, if GNUcash is important to
> you and/or is your choice; then that is application whose interface
> to Gnopernicus we will establish, and whose accessibility we will review.

I did not mean that I was unwilling to help with GnuCash, but merely that if
it is helpful to Michael to look at options I'm willing to help.  I do know
something of GnuCash already, so reviewing KMyMoney for comparison shouldn't
be too difficult.  Unless there are already reasons for sticking with GC I
would certainly recommend comparison.  I'd be happy to go along either line.

BTW, Michael, the fact that ubuntu is gnome by default does not stop you
running kde applications - the required libraries would be installed along
with the application.

> >There are other possibilities, like Kmymoney, though I don't know
> > anything about them.  Perhaps some other member has tried them.  If not,
> > I'd be willing to try something out and report back.  I'd be doubtful
> > about recommending GnuCash to a sighted person unless he/she had both
> > accounting experience and determination.
>
> Did you mean 'even to a sighted person', or is there a typo there?

Yes, I meant exactly what I said - it's too complex and unintuitive for anyone
without previous skills, IMO.  Having said that, I do accept that previous
experience of other accounting packages can sometimes be a hindrance, as you
have pre-conceptions.

> Yes, GNUcash is aimed at people who have or who will soon have some
> accounting experience, but the opposite end of this see-saw is that
> knowledge of this application will probably be more useful and more
> transferable than that of other applications. All I am saying is that one
> should be aware of what one is getting into, but if your eyes are open,
> then it is a perfectly reasonable choice.
>
> (For ordinary home use and budgeting, a spreadsheet will do just
> fine)!

Again, if help setting up accounting spreadsheets is the better solution, I
could help there.

> Also, though I haven't verified this,. I am fairly sure that GNUcash
> files and output are accepted by third parties (also true of SQL Ledger)
> and this means that for serious use, GNUcash is in the running and
> there is some point in striding over its learning curve.

Most accountants expect the output to be either in the form of a windows
application with which they are already familiar or an excel spreadsheet.

One drawback with GnuCash is the difficulty of adapting reports.  You have to
learn 'scheme' (I think that's the name) language to write a report.  If the
built-in reports are not enough for you, that's a serious consideration.
KMyMoney claims to have adaptable reports, though I haven't tried them.
Similarly, printout is less than attractive.  I've just printed out reports
from GnuCash, and it printed about 20 transactions to the page - big and
unwieldy typeface.  If the report is more than one page long you get a blank
page at the beginning.  Believe me, there are some big frustrations.

> > As for the privacy issue, the general recommendation for any accounting
> > application is to set up a test account that can be played around with.
> > Most accounting programs can handle more than one 'company', so I'm
> > assuming that this is true of the home-accounts packages.  If not, it
> > will be possible to temporarily rename Michael's own files and start a
> > test account.
>
> I hadn't thought of that. Last time I tried, the software thought that
> I was setting
> up some sort of hand wash laundering scheme.
>
> > I'd be willing to help research the possibilities, although I'm going to
> > be away for the next few days.
>
> I am not laying down the law, but I am sure that this is a many hands
> might light work scheme rather than a cooks and kitchen one.

The ball's in Michael's court now.  When he lets us know his feelings on these
issues we can start looking at it.  There should be time to do some
preliminary research before the 7th.

Anne