The Lost Newby and the Technical Matters of Doom (was Re: [Hudlug] my talk)

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 09:01:11 BST 2006

On 27/09/06, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I am pleased my talk went down okay.
> I meant what I said about input and expertise from the Linux community as
> regards getting Linux accessability as close to that enjoyed by Blind
> users in Windows as regards installation, bootup and shut down or exiting.

The biggest obstacle or wieirdness that I see is that fact that
"accessibility" or "disabiliity" is seen by the temporarily abled as
very one-dimensional. Now whilst the visually handicapped tend to
benefit a little, because 'providing accessible support' is (wrongly)
equated to providing screen magnifiers, screen readers, braille input
and output and so forth, when we also need to be considering people
with missing limbs, muscular weakness or lack of co-ordination. In
fact the totally blind person is in a minority when set against the
world of individuals who would benefit from accessible program and
computer design.

My understanding is that the Windows environment is not all that
accommodating to people who wish to provide (or use) accessibility
enhancements such as Jaws, but that is where the money is, and where
the politcians are being led.

This is a hard nut to crack.

You will find that the ability of blind people to use computers fell
sharply when switching form DOS to Windows 3.1, and a notable problem
was WordPerfect, which had a mature, simple and efffective
accessibility layer. It fell again when switching from Windows 3.1 to
Windows 95 (as the need to use a visual interface increased). Things
are not entirely bleak - I believe that every menu item has a key
short-cut in Windows and possibly other Microsoft products, and over
time 3 party products do emerge, but I suspect that with each major
release there is an expensive (but not irremediable) set back.

The FOSS scheme eliminates this. We do not have set-backs. Once
something is established and working, it stays and is available for
further development.

I would have thought that using command line tools such as vim, mutt
and lynx would be the first thing to try, but this does not seem to be
so in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Personally, I think that we need to be prepared to test releases of
Orca as they emerge and watch progress in this field. I think that we
need to encourage all particapants in the accessibility world to
develop common goals. I think that we need to join with the Ubuntu
folk who have an established and viable team for accessibility, and
consider working with Gnome where the accessibility layer is well
provided. (On my little laptop I don't have room for a an install of
Gnome as blessed by Gentoo).

One useful goal would be to develop a discipline for 'eye free'
install. This is possible with SuSE, and I believe that it can be done
with Ubuntu; though it needs a lot more testing.

Personally, I feel that installation is not so important: We can use
Live CD techniques and from my POV is remains satisfactory for the
process of installation to require sighted help as it doesn't need
doing very often. I would love to hear some reasoned points for or
against this view.

> Ben sometimes loses a Linux newby in technical matters but as regards
> possibly pushing the Linux community in the right direction of
> accessability I think I am on the right lines as regards my mention of
> him in my talk as being in one of the best positions to bring about
> necessary change for the better in accessability for the Blind Linux user.

Of course, it is very necessary that a blind computer use can securely
boot his or her machine, log in and later logout or shutdown. Are
saying that this is not so with Ubuntu? If so, do have a list of where
the difficulties lie. I would be happy happy to investigate.

And if you are ever able to lay your hands on one of these poor
wandering souls, please let me know and I will do my bit towards
rounding them up and directing them on the road to recovery.

Ben.