[Hudlug] No Internet with Netgear DG834G

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 15:02:03 BST 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007, Chris Brown wrote:
> Hello Derek,
>
> Have you tried connecting via PPPoA rather than PPPoE. I know it sounds
> silly but Zen Internet screwed up the connection type for my boss recently
> and it wasn't until I did this by chance that it all started working
> happily. They had even put the wrong connection type on the welcome pack.
> It should be in your router control panel.
>
> Also, make sure you have filters on all your hardware or just remove all
> excess phones and faxes etc.
>
> Lastly, check basics like connections and other such stuff.
>
> Hope this helps. If not, let me know.

Computer Shopper this month mentioned the PPPoA and PPPoE problem.
Apparently, PPPoA is the British standard and PPPoE is the US one.  BT's
equipment was set up to handle either.  With the local-loop unbundling many
ISPs are moving to better deals elsewhere, but often the new suppliers don't
handle PPPoE.  In theory, recent routers supplied in the UK should be set to
PPPoA by default, but still many are not.

HTH

Anne