[Lancaster] Connections ...

Martyn Welch martyn at 22balmoralroad.net
Tue Nov 19 09:24:00 2002

Comments inline

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 01:30, Richard Robinson wrote:
   revealing my ignorance here, I haven't been keeping up with the progre=
ss
   of hardware ...

   I currently connect to the net via good ol'fashioned modem, and I'm
   thinking it's about time I got something a bit nicer. It looks as thou=
gh
   I could get ADSL, for not much more than I'm currently paying (the
   standard BT, probably via Demon); but I'm wondering about a couple of
 things ...

   1) 50:1 contention ratio - could be slower than a modem, at worst. Wha=
t's
 this like in practice, can anybody comment ?

We have ADSL via Demon - nope, not slower than a modem. Even if the speed=
 did=20
drop, it's not paid for by the minute (or holding up your phone line) so =
it's=20
not such a problem.

   2) Are there any alternative types of connection I might also want to
 think about ? I'm not aware of any, since the attempt at cabling us went
 broke, but as I say, I haven't been paying a lot of attention.

Someone told me that they had called in the creditors (or something), but=
 were=20
still trading, I don't understand all this legal money business, so it co=
uld=20
be the pissed mumblings of an idiot.

I think ADSL was the best we could get!

Martyn