[Lancaster] Front page Citizen Article

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue Dec 14 08:44:47 GMT 2004

max wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've been feeding John Whitelegg information, case studies and F/OSS arguments
> for the past couple of months. The article is typically confusing and of poor
> journalistic standard, so it's not surprising that they don't report that
> John's pushing for the council to use Star Office, and look at F/OSS
> potential generally.
>
> I've offered John a general introductory chat about Free Software use and the
> ideas behind it, and he seems keen to take this further.

Has he had the opportunity to actually see/use a modern/high spec.
system running said software? It not, maybe we should set up demo. I
could bring along an Athlon box running SuSE v9.1 and Star Office v5.2
which I still use for a couple of old spreadsheets containing charts. I
could also bring a mid spec laptop running SuSE.

I find Star Office (and OOo) sluggish on lower spec machines.

Ken Hough