[Lancaster] did some work on the x server

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat May 15 19:51:10 BST 2004

I spent this afternoon trying to get the x server running with the terminals.
So far, what we have is the server and the terminals are all on network
192.168.3.0, with the server on ip .2, and the terminals on .51-.53

The server is also connected to the internet through the bsd router.

The X server isn't working properly though - it receives the X query packet,
but it's rejected straight away with an ICMP connection refused packet. It
does work though if you do X -query 192.168.3.2 :1 on the server machine.

Thinking about it afterwards, this could be a firewall problem, but I couldn't
make sure at the time because iptables isn't installed. If anyone wants to go
in and have a go at fixing it, a first thing to try might be switching off
all unwanted services and rebooting.

I won't be able to do any more on it until the end of next week.

I would be good if we could keep each other updated over the list whenever
some work is done like this, so we each know how things are set up.

see you, andy.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which