[Lancaster] did some work on the server

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Sun May 16 21:07:57 BST 2004

Andy,

Could the problem with refusal of 'X - broadcast' be associated with the
Xaccess file? (under SuSE /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess) This file defines who
can gain access and how.

A simple asterisk allows anybody to gain access (ok to test -- Dangerous
to normal use).

In place of the asterisk, various users can be defined by specific
addresses or by patterns.

Aditionally, these users can be identified again followed on the same
line by: CHOOSER BROADCAST

I'm no expert, but I got this from "Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO" and as the
man said, "It works for me".

As we only have the one server, is there any good reason why we
shouldn't use the address specific command 'X -query 192.168.3.2 :1'?

I hope to get down to the Folly either Tuesday or Wednesday and so could
have a look at this. I would need access to the server. Please will
someone advise me on this.

Anyway, well done Andy. All information is helpfull.

Regards

Ken Hough

Andy Baxter wrote:

 > I spent this afternoon trying to get the x server running with the
terminals. So far, what we have is the server and the terminals are all
on network 192.168.3.0, with the server on ip .2, and the terminals on
.51-.53

 > The server is also connected to the internet through the bsd router.
 >
 > The X server isn't working properly though - it receives the X query
packet, but it's rejected straight away with an ICMP connection refused
packet. It does work though if you do X -query 192.168.3.2 :1 on the
server machine.

 > Thinking about it afterwards, this could be a firewall problem, but I
couldn't make sure at the time because iptables isn't installed. If
anyone wants to go in and have a go at fixing it, a first thing to try
might be switching off all unwanted services and rebooting.

 > I won't be able to do any more on it until the end of next week.
 >
 > I would be good if we could keep each other updated over the list
whenever some work is done like this, so we each know how things are set up.